RPS Forum: Mountain photography kit - RPS Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mountain photography kit portable quality kit for serious rugged landscape photography

#1 User is offline   mourneview Icon

• S Scott LRPS
  • Group: Members
  • LocationIreland

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Good afternoon all!

Actually it is the worst start to March in memory!....Pouring rain and cold.

Any ows, I have been enjoying many weekends in Irish mountains last 'season' and am beginning to realise that most of the photographic compositions have been covered in many different and imaginitive ways i.e. high dynamic range, and all possible times of day and night. This has given me the idea that I need to get into more and more difficult places where a tripod is almost too dangerous to carry and a large DSLR with heavy zoom lenses could put me off balance on the many large tors of granite where I am hoping to set up base and wait for the light so to speak.. These are very dangerous locations, however I am quite used to the best ways of ascending the more managable routes due mainly to a miss spent childhood scrambling the boulders.

This is no insurance that something will not go very wrong. As such I can never promote this as an outdoor pursuit. If you are even slightly uncomfortable with a chosen route to a summit, then stop and enjoy the beauty of our amazing landscape from a much safer advantage.

So what do you reckon chaps?

I really wish for an APS-C sensor with a great processing engine.

DSLR quality

Interchangable lenses facility?... I am not convinced that I actually need more lenses though. A prime wide angle i.e. 15/18mm ish might do fine.

I do need a filter thread though as I use polariser and NDs on a regular basis.

I am interested and book production and magazine submissions i.e. Outdoor photography mag.

Also A3 plus for wall hanging.

My work is all for personal use only with the exception on a current book project.

I may even go for a decent bulletproof compact as a back up (any ideas chaps)

My current camera is a Panasonic G3 which is fabulous and very compact. I would be better off keeping it as a great back up.

What do you reckon chaps?..... There are a lot of great cameras around, the megapixel battle seems to have gone silly.. I am guessing that 12 to 16mp is all that anybody actually needs in reality?

Sorry going on a bit now. A lot of time indoors due to the weather and blasted toothache.

Cheers all.

Simon.
S Scott LRPS

www.timewithphotos.com

#2 User is offline   davidm61 Icon

• RPS Member
  • View blog
  • Group: RPS Member
  • LocationNorth West England

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

If interchangeable lenses aren't needed, but something around 18mm is, what about new Nikon Coolpix A? APS-C sized sensor in highly compact and portable unit. The A sports a 16.2Mp 18.5 f2.8 lens (28mm equivalent on this DX size sensor). More information is on the Nikon website here

#3 User is offline   mourneview Icon

• S Scott LRPS
  • Group: Members
  • LocationIreland

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

Cheers David for your excellent recommendation and Nikon link

I do like this camera, however the electronic 'self extending lens' puts me off this camera. I had an excellent little compact die due to grit which blew into the lens mechanism...

I am sure that this Coolpix 1 has this potential covered. Still a little bit nervous because of this.

Fabulous stats though and doubtless a fabulous release.

Simon.
S Scott LRPS

www.timewithphotos.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users