• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Severe gale on Shetland Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   moorefam Icon

• Moorefam
  • Group: RPS Member
  • LocationDevon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

This image was taken on West Burra on Shetland during a storm. Large waves were rolling into a small bay, breaking on the cliffs and the spray was being driven by the wind. There was water and spray everywhere.
Fortunately my telephoto has a long lens hood and it keeps the spray off really well.

David

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   davidm61 Icon

• RPS Member
  • View blog
  • LocationNorth West England

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Nice photo David. There is, to me anyway, movement in the image, and good, realistic colours. :)

#3 User is offline   Paul Dunning Icon

• RPS Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationBristol

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

A very dynamic image David, that sea look fierce :)

If things go to plan then I might be heading over to Shetland myself in April, any tips?

Thanks,
Paul.

#4 User is offline   moorefam Icon

• Moorefam
  • LocationDevon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

View Postdavidm61, on 08 March 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

Nice photo David. There is, to me anyway, movement in the image, and good, realistic colours. :)/>/>/>

David. Thanks for your comments. It's cropped and I forgot to sharpen. I hadn't realized I had cropped it until I looked at the original. What about these two, also cropped? The colours are slightly different. It was 1 3/4 hrs to sunset Oct 4th. I remember the light was very nice where it shone on the water and the foam was coloured. The ferry crossing the next day to Aberdeen was interesting.

David

Attached File(s)

#5 User is offline   moorefam Icon

• Moorefam
  • LocationDevon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostPaul Dunning, on 08 March 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

A very dynamic image David, that sea look fierce :)/>/>/>

If things go to plan then I might be heading over to Shetland myself in April, any tips?

Thanks,
Paul.

Paul. Thanks a lot and yes the sea was fierce. I was the other side of a ridge and waves were breaking with the water coming across my side. You are coming in Apr so try Sumburgh Head for the arrival of Puffins plus gannets and other seabirds inc local twites, rather like sparrows. There is a local hotel there which is great for Sumburgh. The local beach is nice for sunrises and sunsets. Eshaness is great for wild scenery and stormy weather so take good boots and warm waterproofs. Type Eshaness into Google images for views. Unst is great for more wild scenery and a gannetry.

St Ninians Island is very scenic with an incredible beach with Bonxies breeding in land but keep your distance.
West Burra where my original post was is well worth a visit.
I think our photographic interests are quite similar looking at your website. Your website looks great.

David
www.moorefam.plus.com

This post has been edited by moorefam: 08 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

#6 User is offline   Paul Dunning Icon

• RPS Member
  • View gallery
  • LocationBristol

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

View Postmoorefam, on 08 March 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Paul. Thanks a lot and yes the sea was fierce. I was the other side of a ridge and waves were breaking with the water coming across my side. You are coming in Apr so try Sumburgh Head for the arrival of Puffins plus gannets and other seabirds inc local twites, rather like sparrows. There is a local hotel there which is great for Sumburgh. The local beach is nice for sunrises and sunsets. Eshaness is great for wild scenery and stormy weather so take good boots and warm waterproofs. Type Eshaness into Google images for views. Unst is great for more wild scenery and a gannetry.

St Ninians Island is very scenic with an incredible beach with Bonxies breeding in land but keep your distance.
West Burra where my original post was is well worth a visit.

David

Thanks David, I'll make a note of those.

Paul.

P.S.

I really like the last of the two shots you just added, both nice though.

#7 User is offline   davidm61 Icon

• RPS Member
  • View blog
  • LocationNorth West England

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

View Postmoorefam, on 08 March 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

David. Thanks for your comments. It's cropped and I forgot to sharpen. I hadn't realized I had cropped it until I looked at the original. What about these two, also cropped? The colours are slightly different. It was 1 3/4 hrs to sunset Oct 4th. I remember the light was very nice where it shone on the water and the foam was coloured. The ferry crossing the next day to Aberdeen was interesting.

David

Both are very nice, and the colour in the water makes me shiver. It has that blueish/greenish tint to it that I (rightly or wrongly) associate with cold water. Great photos.

#8 User is offline   PaulB Icon

• Elite
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Definitely looks stormy - like these very much.
Comfortably numb

#9 User is offline   Steve Bell Icon

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationAylesbury, UK

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

Inspiring images. I'll be on Shetland during the second week of October. We will be driving up to Aberdeen and catching the ferry, will be carrying too much to make flying viable. Staying at Scalloway and hoping to cover as much of the islands as I can in a week. Will be mixing photography and amateur radio. A most interesting thread.
Steve Bell

www.flickr.com/photos/sbell

#10 User is offline   moorefam Icon

• Moorefam
  • LocationDevon

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for all the comments and interest which are much appreciated. Bearing in mind the interest here are 2 more. The second one looks a bit underexposed but not in Lightroom 3.5 which is odd?

David

Attached File(s)

#11 User is offline   Ned Icon

• Apprentice
  • Group: Members
  • LocationBlackburn, Lancashire

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

View Postmoorefam, on 09 March 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Thanks for all the comments and interest which are much appreciated. Bearing in mind the interest here are 2 more. The second one looks a bit underexposed but not in Lightroom 3.5 which is odd?

David

Nice work, those white horses sure rear up don't they. I could hear the wind whistle as I viewed these. Do I notice some colour to the light in No.2?
Cheers
Ned

#12 User is offline   moorefam Icon

• Moorefam
  • LocationDevon

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Thanks Ned. As I remember there was some colour to the light but how much is a moot point but the sun was quite low but not in the hour before sunset. The waves were quite something.

David

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users